
So, we finally almost have a real living room. With the completion of the basement bedrooms and getting all the beds out of the living room plus the generous donation of a sectional couch from a neighbor (hoping to find some kind of slip cover but its very comfy, in good shape, and fits perfectly, plus it was free--who's complaining?) Now we need to touch up the floor finish and get a nice area rug and we'll be almost there.

When strawberries are $.75/lb. what do you do? First, gorge on them fresh--Second, make jam! I tried using half honey this time and if the flavor isn't too strong I'll probably try all honey next time. I used regular pectin this time but I want to experiment more with some of the low sugar pectins and see what I can come up with that my kids will still eat.

Spring truly is here! We moved the tramp closer to the house and the kids have been out there non-stop. I love when they are playing well together. Abe is out digging in the dirt most mornings and I've got the job of designing the soon to be built chicken coop and figuring out where to start with our gardening plans. We're planning to get 5 or 6 layers just as soon as we have a place for them.

Kensi is on her way to wasting as much time on the computer as I do. Barbie.com is her Facebook. If she weren't competing with me for computer time she'd be on all the time. I think I need to set some different kind of example for her, though to be fair she is an excellent cook as well. She made German Pancakes for dinner tonight all by herself.

The Chubbster who loves his food! The menu tonight--unsweetened applesauce mixed with a bit of plain yogurt, nutmeg and cinnamon. I don't actually know how much he ate because I kept tasting it myself--pretty yummy stuff!
6 comments:
Here is something I can recommend (so tasty that I keep eating it myself as well). Homemade pears with cardamon and cinnamon. I just boiled the pears tender with the spices and then threw it in the blender. I'm not a pear fan, but these I'd eat any time. And, as it happens, it's the only thing Sophia really eats.
very nice living room! what a difference! and what a cute baby! he must have some great genes! LOL
BTW xylitol works great with low sugar pectin--I've even used it with regular pectin and it sets up as well as sugar does. I used part xylitol and part splenda of course , which you wouldn't do but Maybe a combination of honey and xylitol would taste good and be much lower in sugar than regular jam.
how is the basement drying out BTW?
I noticed you have the bead board done in the foyer as well. it looks great. how are you using that space now?
It's looking great Reni!!
Would you share your chicken coop plans when they are finalized?
great pictures!
if you want to know about chicken coops-you can ask my mom. she has like 5 books on them : )
and last year i canned all our apricots with only honey using the no (or low)-sugar pectin. i loved it! my kids eat it too, but they aren't too picky.
best of luck.
Post a Comment