Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The 4th of July

We Had a fun 4th of July this year. Abe's Aunt Virginia hosts a family get-together every July 4th at their cabin by Park City called Johnson's Mountain. We haven't been for the last several years so it was fun to make it this time. We have a potluck with some really yummy BBQ beef sandwiches and Abe's Uncle Frank has this horrible tradition of bringing orange McDonald's punch and Twinkies. My kids love it, of course. Blech! Some of the older cousins hide tons of painted rocks everywhere and the kids find them (kind of like an Easter egg hunt) and then trade in different colored rocks for little prizes and candies. We play games and there is a giant swing that is really fun. Abe's parents were there--that's a picture of Abe's dad with his 2 brothers. We teased them about their matching hats. The newlyweds were there too, Abe's youngest brother Andrew and his wife CaSaundra. We've been doing a few fireworks at home each night that my dad bought for the kids and then we went to the city fireworks in Mt. Pleasant. There definitely are some advantages to living in a small town. I thought the fireworks show was just as good as any I've been to but we drove up 15 minutes before it started, got a perfect view right in front, and were able to get out quickly when it was over. Abe, of course, stayed home. We now supposedly have this "agreement" (after I dragged him to the Manti Pageant last week) that he is not expected to attend any function that will keep him out past 10:00 or be anywhere there is a crowd (meaning more than 20 people) That means I'm not supposed to hound him or make him feel guilty for not wanting to go, which I will try hard to do but I'm sure I will have plenty of relapses. It really isn't fun to do any of those things if he is grumpy anyway so I'll just leave the baby at home with him and go have a blast with the older kids. To be fair, we have a blast doing things like rock-climbing, which we did this morning for our date (he taught me to lead climb--a bit scary, but cool) and took the kids and some friends last week, but it met his requirement of not being too late at night and being relatively free of other folks. (I've also updated my other blog--link to the right, if interested)



4 comments:

Deborah said...

Looks like so much fun1

we had a great fourth too. big BBQ with about 20 people. lots of home style fireworks and a pinata for the kids. We had a blast.

Quinn said...

Sorry to say, but Abe, you sound just like my grandfather and he's 73. What will you be like at his age?? I hope we get to see you, since with Gusti's family, my family and your family we are already over 20.

Serenity Rachel said...

Well, Quinn, I was exaggerating a bit about the number of people (but not by much). But you will notice that even at a family gathering he is not in the midst of the throng but off in a corner somewhere talking to one or two people.

Franziska Patterson said...

So, Abe is a recluse, eh? Well, I'm sure that comes in handy with your guys' new (well, not that new I guess) home location. But, I have to say, I understand Abe. While I don't necessarily mind a crowd, I just really prefer one-on-one interaction with people. Or, at least a group small enough that you can have a meaningful conversation.