
You know you live in the sticks when after tithing settlement at the church you have an almost flat tire and it is a half hour drive to the nearest gas station so you ask the Bishop for suggestions and he sends you to a guy named Lumpy who lives down the street (Lumpy is a mechanic and has a compressor)and after Lumpy helps you with your tire he gives you several pounds of elk meat.
Just as a side note, before I wrote this I looked up the idiom 'living in the sticks' as I thought it was 'living in the Styx' in reference to the river Styx from Greek mythology that separates the Earth from the underworld indicating that you live on the very edges of civilization. Looks like the most people think 'sticks' refers to living near wooded areas. Just wondering if any of you linguistically minded people had any perspective on that.
1 comment:
Although I always loved the mythology sections in Lit. classes, I cannot remember ever hearing the name "Styx" for the river. It very well could have been your way, but, having grown up in Montana... well you just know you live in the "sticks" and it doesn't have anything to do with something as deep and sophisticated as symbolism rooting back to Greek Mythology.
Post a Comment