Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Magooshi!

I'm always trying to find somewhat healthy foods that my kids will eat with out complaining, as I'm sure many of you can relate to. Last night we had what in my house growing up was called magooshi . In the Kimball home it would be called "Variations on a Theme" which means you take whatever leftovers are in the fridge and try and concoct something somewhat edible out of it. It was late, I had nothing prepared or thawed, and pulled some mashed potatoes with turkey and gravy out of the fridge along with some chicken/broccoli/cheese/rice type casserole, dumped them in a soup pot, added a few cups of turkey broth, some salt, and a bit of grated cheese, heated it through and served it as dinner. Low and behold, all 4 kids ate their bowl without a complaint. Salem asked for seconds and said, "Mom, can we have this for dinner tomorrow night?" Go figure.

11 comments:

DMK RANCH said...

Sounds yummy to me! I wish I could come up with "Magooshi" like that.
I'm so happy we are in the same ward, I can get all kinds of great ideas from you.

Gusti said...

ewhhhhh Reni that picture does not look like something I would want to eat. Flashback to my high school years. Pat yourself on the back though that everyone chowed down. Sometimes we can't get that response even when everyone can easily name & spell what's for dinner.

Kylee said...

No offense, but I doubt I would have chowed down like the kids did. I guess it's better than the horror stories of spaghetti squash and grilled cheese magooshi that I've heard from Zach. (To this day, he won't touch squash with a ten foot pole.) But hey, if it's healthy and they ate it, I'd definitely do it again!

Kimball Family said...

Warning: This will most likely not occur again. :o)

CALEB MEURER said...

barf, hork, vomit, puke. I still suffer ptsd from food that looked just like this. shudder.

Quinn said...

I am just laughing hard and can't stop.

Robyn said...

If I remember Magooshi right it had A LOT more cheese on top. I never had any idea what was underneath, it was always a mystery.

Serenity Rachel said...

Looks like everyone has strong emotional reactions to magooshi! Sheesh. I've gotten more comments on this post than any other. I ate it too. It didn't have anything weird in it. It really was like a broccoli cheese soup with turkey in it. So, don't you ever make anything to eat that you've made up or that doesn't have a name? Glad I could amuse you all just a bit:-)

Deborah said...

oh gosh what a great laugh! at least the ingredients in your magoshi had some culinary relationship to each other. you Dad's magooshis however.....oy!

and you must admit--however good it TASTED-- that picture makes it look like something the pigs might turn up their noses at!

oh I'm still laughing!

Deborah said...

OMG! I almost peed my pants reading all the messages. Robin is definitely right about the cheese. I think your success Reni, was leaving out the step of adding more water and bread crumbs than microwaving it.

Magooshi -even my kids know the stories.

Patience said...

The second "deborah" comment is mine. Mom got on my computer and everything was logged in as her.